Monday 9 May 2016

Keep Smiling

Entry #45 May 1st 1916

The good weather continues, and as I was off duty until 2:30 PM I had a fine bath in the Anore River. This river is in full view of the German lines, but small parties were very rarely interfered with. Injuring my whole time here I only had to beat a hasty retreat once whilst bathing is Fritz started to splash us with a few wiz-bangs. The fresh smell of the woods, the scorching sun, bird singing and a sparkling river left nothing to be desired. So a return to feeling in A1 form. The trenches in this part of the line were fine, the nicest ever we were in. They were nice and wide, and water taps were in the trenches. This to us was a treat as we are never able to get a wash in the trenches before. In fact after what we had come through in other parts the line, such as Auchounvillers, where we were up to the waist in mud, we looked upon this spell is a sort of picnic. And, thanks to the splendid covering the trees gave one, we were very rarely in the trenches. It was quite a common affair whilst lying around to hear whiz! whiz! whiz! But long before it reached you it would strike a tree as the wood was very thick with trees. Anytime I was off duty I spent my spare time on top of our dugout either reading, writing or admiring the scenery. In fact it was the sort of whether one feels glad to be alive and enjoy nature in all its glory. Clear blue sky with Aeroplanes galore added to the scenery, which was perfect in itself but Fritz must not have agreed with me for now and then, as he usually did, trying to catch us unaware, he would throw over a few wiz bangs and shrapnels, which came much too close to be comfortable, and twice I had to retire to my dugout whilst writing this short account of my new surroundings, owing to Fritz's attentions.

No comments:

Post a Comment